I recently switched from antiperspirant to deodorant and I want to share with you my reasons why. Lately, I have been more and more concerned about the products I use in my hair and on my body. During my research I have discovered that:
- Antiperspirants prevent sweating
- Deodorants eliminate odor and are alcohol based (to kill the bacteria that causes odor)
- Antiperspirant deodorants are classified as drugs
- Antiperspirants contain aluminum and parabens
- Aluminum compounds form plugs within sweat ducts that stop the flow of sweat to the skin’s surface.
- Some research suggests that aluminum-based compounds may be absorbed by the skin and cause (hormonal) effects.
- High doses of aluminum adversely affects the blood–brain barrier and can cause DNA damage
- Parabens are preservatives that have been shown to mimic the activity of estrogen in the body’s cells. (The FDA states most major brands of deodorants and antiperspirants in the United States do not currently contain parabens.) (above data sourced from www.cancer.gov)
The picture below shows how the lymph nodes trail to the breast tissue.
The pic above lends to the though that the antiperspirant chemicals can and do travel down to the breast tissue.
Based on what I learned, I decided that I wanted to try deodorant that did NOT contain antiperspirant. After looking on line to find companies that made natural deodorant, I decided to purchase this Lavender + Sage Deodorant from Schmidt’s
This product was $8.99. Schmidt’s brand claims its products to be cruelty-free, vegan and gluten free. It’s made in America (which is GREAT). Here are a few more facts about this particular product.
- Award-winning formula provides all-day odor protection and wetness relief.
- Fast-absorbing. Non-greasy, non-sticky feel.
- Free of aluminum, propylene glycol, parabens & phthalates.
- Plant-based powders protect against wetness without the use of aluminum.
- Certified Vegan & Cruelty-free. Gluten-free.
This deodorant also claims to have antioxidant and antiseptic properties!!!
The smell is amazing to me. I chose this particular scent because I love the calming properties of lavender. Lavender is known to treat anxiety, insomnia, depression and restlessness. Schmidt’s has several different scent from which to choose. I am thoroughly happy with my purchase.
Ingredients:Maranta arundinacea (arrowroot) powder, Cocos Nucifera (coconut) Oil, Euphorbia Cerifera (candelilla) Wax, Butyrospermum parkii (shea butter), Sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (fractionated coconut oil), Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Lavandula (lavender) essential oil, Salvia sclarea (clary sage) essential oil, Tocopherol (vitamin E)
I am so happy I made the switch. It took getting used to actually sweating and having sweat stains but I know I am making a healthier choice for my body.
There are tons of other companies offering natural alternatives to antiperspirant, choose which one works best for you.
Learn more about Schmidt’s by visiting there social media on Instagram and Twitter.
There are 2 comments
I tried Schmidt’s for the first time a few months ago. It definitely keeps odor away but once it got hot, I couldn’t deal with the wetness. Perfect for fall/winter, but I can’t deal in this Georgia heat with sweaty pits.
Thanks so much for your comment. Yes I am having a hard time dealing with the wetness and I am in South Texas and it’s hell hot here. Thanks so much for reading